View Single Post
Old 02.26.2019, 09:04 PM   #20
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor
Really? I’ve never heard FJM linked to anything close to Jim O’Rourke, now I’m extremely curious.

Um, yeah. This era of O’Rourke in toungue-in-check singer-songwriter mode with sweeping orchestral or classic rock arrangements? Deceptively bleak tones and lyrics sweetened with ironic humor?

That’s Father John Misty. At least it was when I was paying attention. His whole thing is basically “What if Elton John was fucked the fuck up and totally cynical?”

He’s less genuinely grim (and more ostentatiously dark) than O’Rourke, but basically the whole spiel FJM brought to the table with his first couple solo albums struck me as a retread of this very specific era for O’Rourke.

Listen to I Love You Honeybear and a few tracks on Pure Comedy, and I think you’ll see what I mean.

O’Rourke, 15 years ahead of the curve.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|