View Single Post
Old 09.23.2009, 05:25 AM   #26
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by blunderbuss
There was a time when I would've cared, but I went to a 'babes gig a few years ao, and it was dull dull dull. Too much R&B, far too little pop, which was what I was there for. And the recent material has been dross.

As an aside, the new Cheryl Cole stuff is pretty crap too. Why do all our best pop acts eventually feel the need to become poor Destinys Child imitations?

I think that's always been a bit of a sticking point for me with Sugababes - they just want to be 'credible' R&B a bit too much. I think we're capable of some great R&B - Mis-teeq were easily one of the best pop live shows I've seen (insanely loud) and a lot of the UK garage thing (specifically So Solid and fallout thereof) was brilliant.

But there does come a point where the proper pop thing turns to R&B in a bid for credibility. Strangely, this really works for some Americans - Britney's last couple of albums shit on her earlier stuff, Justin Timberkins made the transition nicely, Christina A I don't really like but I know a lot of people do. I just don't think Brits are very convincing. Basically, you'd never get St Etienne or Pet Shop Boys trying to be credible, which is ultimately why they turn out proper, decent pop (with periodic lapses).

I don't think the Cheryl Cole single is all that bad, it's just not all that amazing either. Not sure about the Hitler moustaches on the video either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|