View Single Post
Old 09.06.2014, 01:10 PM   #8
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBebs
Proper excited, but also preparing myself to be disappointed

I always wait for the actual album release for some reason. Hanging onto nostalgia and the excitement of youth

Well, me too. I used to ONLY preview albums by artists in my "pantheon"; that is, that group of artists who surpass "favoritism" and instead just kind of float above all other musicians, untouchable, like gods... Titans at the very least.

But now it's more like the other way around. I will gladly download leaked versions or swipe promos by bands that I like who aren't in the pantheon; but when it comes to the very best of the best, I find that I can't bring myself to spoil the childlike Xmas morning giddiness of pulling cellophane off the long-awaited real deal LP.

That's why I stopped SYRO. It wasn't easy, believe me, but when I started thinking about how vacant these years of AphexTwinlessness have been, I decided that this was a momentous occasion, and that I was not going to fuck it up for myself.

Plus I think it brings bad luck. I listened to the Eternal so many times in the month before it's official release that buying the actual album was totally anticlimactic; if I'd known it was very likely my last opportunity to hear a new SY album, I wouldn't have done it.

Actually I'm talking a bunch of shit here.. I've pre-funked every Flaming Lips album since Yoshimi. That includes every goddamn one of their 2011 Ep's, as well as Heady Fwends itself, and later The Terror. I did the same fucking thing with both Songs in A&E and Sweet Heart, Sweet Light. And just in the past year and a half I've pre-funked Yeezus To Be Kind, the Kid is Gone box set by Unwound, Bécs, Lese Majesty... All albums by Pantheon artists, or prospective pantheon artists. I pre-funked M B V too. And Tomorrow's Harvest. Haha! I guess I really have no code of ethics to speak of when it comes to music released by my favorite artists. Or if I do, it can go out the window in an instant, especially if lots of people are listening early, because then I feel like the last to hear the new music from my own fucking pantheon!

In any case, SYRO is safe for now. Is it on my iPod? Why yes, yes it is. Could I change my mind any moment? Don't see why not. But right now, I'm taking it one step (one minute.. second) at a time, because I really do want to feel my heart race as I unwrap the album. It's as tempting as a loaded shot of heron sitting on my bedside table. Luckily I have Caustic Window to use as a kind of "methadone"/nicotine patch/[insert more easy craving-related metaphors here] to tide me over.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|