View Single Post
Old 12.25.2016, 12:17 AM   #18
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by d.sound
what the fuck does this even mean? you don't have the enthusiasm and love for music to actually seek it out? this has been the best year for new music since 2011. there has been plenty of bad shit, but you toss it aside and try something else. i find lots of records i love because i love music. enough to try new things. there were a couple years where i was severely depressed that i only listened to like 5 albums the whole year. maybe that's what's up? are you depressed? my love of music is what brought me to a sonic youth board, a board for sharing the love of music. (i thought?)

Agreed.

Quote:
that said, what's up with sonic youth fans only listening to kanye west albums and other mainstream hip hop? that's like the farthest thing from sonic youth. at least to me it seemed like rock and roll hit a peak in the late 90s and has been pure shit ever since. i'm pretty sure rock and roll has died. so i guess the alternative is mainstream hip hop?

i would think people who are open minded enough to enjoy sonic youth so much they join a message board for them would be more adventurous in their taste in music. i mean when i got into sy when washing machine came out, the only way to find new music in a rural area was mtv and magazines. with the internet i've found so much different music than i ever thought i could. i don't see how that's a bad thing at all. more music. always more music.

Disagree.
First of all, Kanye may be a major figure in hip hop, but his music is anything but "mainstream" on a sonic level. You talk about it like Kanye is the same as whoever the fuck has a radio hit this month. Not so. He's one of the most adventurous musicians around.

Also, I don't think my list has any mainstream hip-hop on it unless you want to count Tribe. But so what if it did? Good music is good music, mainstream or not.

These are some of the records I'd include if I had more than 10 spots:

Tim Hecker - Love Streams
Jessy Lanza - Oh No
DJ Earl - Open Your Eyes
G.L.O.S.S. - Trans Day of Revenge
Aphex Twin - CHEETAH EP
DJ Koze Presents - Pampa Vol. 1
Autechre - Elseq 1-5
Swans - The Glowing Man
Pantha Du Prince - The Triad
Patten - Ψ
Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds - Skeleton Tree
Leonard Cohen - You Want it Darker
Bonnie "Prince" Billy & Bitchin Bajas - Epic Jammers and Fortunate Little Ditties
The Body - No One Deserves Happiness
Not Waving - Animals
Christian Fennesz & Jim O'Rourke - It's Hard For Me to Say I'm Sorry
PJ Harvey - The Hope Six Demolition Project
Babyfather - "BBF" Hosted by DJ Escrow
Big Ups - Before a Million Universes
Glenn Jones - Fleeting

All great records, but I just don't have the time to sort them out in order.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|