View Single Post
Old 06.02.2010, 05:35 AM   #118
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbradley
Well, there's the single word "hypokeimenon" but that's not helping.

Nah, I just think that those things can be reduced, or maybe traced back, to very primordial instincts. The Ishango bone and Lebombo bone both demonstrate how old the basics of mathematics really are. In fact, some have speculated that mathematics began with women tallying their menstrual cycle: http://www.tacomacc.edu/home/jkeller...ses/menses.htm

In any case, I tend to refrain from speculating upon the abilities of prehistoric people since they are capable of many fascinating surprises. And it's 3:30am here, so I'm not arguing anything.

yeah i give up on understanding that.

of course we have the capacities for math, etc, at least since our cro-magnon days if not earlier-- neuroscience is proving that kant was more or less right with his apriori categories. we do have very definite innate faculties of the mind. nevertheless, primitive math count is like "one, two, many". civilization put certain faculties on steroids for sure.

alright, i have to make myself absent for a while and catch up on some thing but will try returning later.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|