Thread: Talk to me...
View Single Post
Old 11.23.2018, 04:43 AM   #84
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!

---

slavo hey!

i'm sorry it's taken me a while, i was swamped and without a method (i've reinstituted pomodoros, a life-saver), and we had a death in the family and all kinds of things but i'm giving your tracks some dedication now, and i've listened to the first one a few times: EXPO 80

so, first of all, i looooooooove the sound of the synthesizer, sounds like something very 70s, vangelis, or something. that fat analog sound, with a slight bit of reverb, that's just fantastic, fantastic. i love that loop and the way it fills the air.

you said treat them like demos and so i found 2 problems for me:

1) the voice of the (australian? australians?) is hard to tell what's he's saying. and so instead of hearing some and then forgetting, the brain tries to figure out what is going on. i listened to this with alone and with my wife, and she's a native english speaker, so it might be the level or something. personally, i don't prefer his voice, it sort of clashes.

i do love the static over the voice though, which for me comes across as a homage to daydream nation's "providence", except that it's not watt telling thurston about his lost weed (i heard that's what that was about) but instead it's some aussie saying something.

with that in mind i do wonder if the fans of your music would know who that guy is and what he's saying? but the vibe i get from him is not pleasant. don't mean to rag on the guy but not knowing what he's saying and his tone of voice makes me a little "nervous" in a way. don't know if that's the mood you want with it.

Oh, dude, wow! This reply is just fantastic and really thorough. Thanks a bunch for this feedback and sorry I had missed it before.

I know what you mean about the voice in EXPO80. It's actually a recording of a Scottish fisherman taken from freesound website. I kind of understand that it's hard to figure out what the dude is saying, and believe me, I've had the dilemma if to actually include it in the recording or not. I tend to like the contrast of spoken word + music, as it usually works well together.
But in this case, I just didn't find anything better.

Thanks again for what you said and that you actually found time to listen to my stuff. Highly appreciated.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|