View Single Post
Old 10.13.2007, 04:40 PM   #41
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Air
Seriously, we count so heavily on crops flourishing in a few places on our planet to then truck them to another, that climate change is likely to have devastating effects in a relatively short term. Which doesn't mean we shouldn't be attacking those problems from both ends.

I've always been a champion of 'green' issues and certainly acknowledge their significance on everyday social life. I rhink what I'm trying to say, and didn't make it that clear in my post, is that what I see in political figures like Gore and David Cameron, as well as business leaders such as Richard Branson is opportunism and tokenism - neither of which help any cause.

I watched Al Gore's Inconvenient Truth with an open mind but found the message he put forward constantly compromised by an unnecessary strategy to make us like him personally. Simialrly, when Branson talks of donating huge sums to tackle climate change I can't help but think his motivation is for us to think his Virgin empire is 'nice'.

Global Change has thus become a 'nice' issue. Unfortunately, for it to become anything more it's going to have to start telling a few more 'inconvenient' and uncomfortable truths than the likes of Gore, Cameron and Branson currently seem to be willing to deliver - as those who believe saving the planet means little more than recycling their baked bean cans probably want to hear.

I still feel that there are more troubling issues right now than climate change, but if we are to tackle it, it needs to be done with conviction, rather than as a plea for political and commercial popularity.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|