View Single Post
Old 03.02.2016, 12:03 PM   #101
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
I'm glad you noticed how Gira changed his original statement and how some of his wife's comments were frankly unnecessary

His wife was absolutely classless in her response, in my opinion. She was dehumanizing and condescending, saying things like "Sorry honey, but.." and the like. Also that line where she refers to herself in the third person ad talks about how analytical she is? It doesn't have much to do with the issue or the situation or the debate, but I'm just saying... I feel deep embarrassment for people who talk that way.

I really didn't mean to cause a shit-show here (talking to you, pepper_green), but the fact that some folks have responded with knee-jerk allegiances that they seem willing to defend despite having almost nothing to back them up, makes me think this kind of discussion needs to happen. I don't understand how or why anyone would automatically side with the accused in a situation like this. Unless some of you folks know Ms. Larkin personally, and can attest to some lengthy history of dishonesty, why would you assume she's being dishonest?

I think males have a lot of pent up feelings of frustration regarding these situations because, frankly, the thought that someone could successfully accuse innocent people of rape is utterly terrifying. While I understand that fear, and the contempt that it breeds, I also understand that he cases in which a male has been falsely accused of rape to the detriment of his life or career are negligible compared to the number of cases where the accusation was true, not to mention the unknown millions upon millions of unreported tapes and sexual harassments that women (and men!) fail to report because they don't want to be seen as a conniving, attention-seeking liar (which is unfortunate how a fair number of men are going to view any woman who speaks up about a rape, no matter what the facts suggest.)

I'm not hating on Gira. I don't particularly like this Larkin woman from what I know, and I definitely feel that there are some major "wait, huh?" moments in her story, but if I automatically sided with Gira, which I initially did, that would be an indication to me that I have some serious biases that I need to work on. Obviously I do have those biases, and that's why I wanted to talk this out. I don't think this has been a "bullshite" thread. An unpleasant one? Yeah, definitely. But just because something is controversial or unpleasant doesn't mean it shouldn't be discussed. Indeed, if anything, those are indications that it should be.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|