View Single Post
Old 11.17.2014, 10:06 AM   #18244
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torn Curtain

9/10

oh that's definitely on my list. trailer looks awesome. loved antichrist and nymphomaniac, this one is supposed to be in the middle of his so-called "depression trilogy".

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
That'd be fine if I thought Kubrick's one dimensional characterisation was intentional, but I just think it's a weakness with him. He just didn't seem very interested in people, which definitely wasn't the case with Bresson. Kubrick was fine when he was dealing with quite cartoon-like 'types' (say with Dr Strangelove or A Clockwork Orange) but he was lost when his characters needed a bit more subtlety. The scenes in Eyes Wide Shut between Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman are an obvious example.

is it? see i am not so sure of this. lancelot du lac? that movie is not about people. and au hazard balthazar is about a donkey! (and that girl, yes, i have forgotten her whereas the donkey is fresh in my mind). where bresson is more "personal" is where i like him less, eg. the country priest or mouchette.

on the kubrick end, i keep hearing it repeated about his characters, but what about a clockwork orange or full metal jacket or the killing or paths of glory? (i haven't seen lolita so i can't give an opinion on that).

anyway what i like about the kidman/cruise interaction in EWS is precisely cruise's passivity-- she EATS HIM ALIVE. clearly too much woman for the little man. that works very well for me in that movie--goes with his character who is this "nice," shallow (as in lacking depth), naive man. the thing is when kubrick chooses to have a passive/flat male character and casts accordingly people say he doesn't care about people, but i think his choice is totally valid, as with barry lyndon. same thing for bowman in 2001.

maybe i too have a bit of asperger's.

my least favorite kubrick film is probably the shining because i'm not a huge fan of the horror genre-- though it has great & memorable moments/shots/lines/performances.

kubrick wasn't a shooter of melodrama/theatre though, and i like him the best for it.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|