View Single Post
Old 12.20.2012, 09:24 PM   #47
Magic Wheel Memory
the end of the ugly

Magic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
We need to remember and mourn these tragic shootings at mid-western white neighborhood schools. However, something as tragic, is that every week in the United States a teenager is shot and killed nearby or even at their school campus. Going to school in many neighborhoods in America, is literally a life and death matter. Not necessarily for privileged white kids, and that is why largely white tragedies like these take the spotlight, but why are the rest of dead and killed American teenagers not noticed? Where is their memorial? What always makes me upset in America is that very few Americans think of ALL Americans as being the same as them, as being equally American. We here in America are ALL Americans, and American tragedies should affect us all, not just when it happens in white neighborhoods. Let us mourn this tragedy today, but let us not neglect to mourn ALL the kids who are wrongfully killed by gun violence. Let us support those kids whose daily reality is one of menacing fear and foreboding dread.

Yes, you're right that all childrens' tragedies must be recognized and prevented. But what happened in Newtown would have been a big story had it happened in any American neighborhood to people of any color. What makes it especially shocking is that an adult, after killing his mother, travelled to the school specifically to murder these young children. That doesn't happen very often, and I find it hard to believe that it was such a big story because the children were white.

Certainly there are neighborhoods, many of them minority neighborhoods, where violence is part of daily life. And it's disgusting that more is not done about it. But I do believe that America is aware of it. There is a quite a bit of media coverage and pop culture references to minority gangs and crime in inner cities. "Bloods" and "Crips" are household words. I don't think the tragedy is that nobody notices, but the fact that not enough is done about it.