Thread: flaming lips
View Single Post
Old 02.02.2007, 11:44 PM   #13
hey alex
the end of the ugly

hey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingcoffee
The Flaming Lips are not overrated. They were once a vibrant, talented, unique band with a lot of amazing material. But I feel that once they lost Jonathon Donahue and then Ronald Jones and the whole episode with Steven's drug problems, the band has really lost that spark for crazy sonic frenzy.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE their records from 1990 to 1997. Those were their best years. And their 80's stuff was pretty interesting too. Sure the textures and sounds and production values have gone up in recent years, i.e. 1999-present, but their songs just arent the same. I know musicians change and grow and go off on new paths and such, but I feel their music has suffered with At War With the Mystics. It almost feels like they are pandering to the ecstacy-rolling crowd with all the computery sounding sound effects and the techno-ish beats. Fuck those people!!! They know nothing of the Flaming Lips!!!! It's like they dont know the band had any songs before 1999!!!

I miss the old days where the drums were heavy and the guitars were crazy!!!! Like Hendrix on strong acid!!! Now they've gone too pop. Yoshimi was cool, but that style should have ended there. They dragged that music style too far with At War. It's done, move on to something new Wayne. Stop letting Steven write the songs. He's a great drummer and a talented guitarist, but he's too symphonic-oriented. I wanna hear some good ol' crazy acid-rock from the FLips.
nicely said--- At war with the mystics sounds like they put all the sounds down on tape and then thought-- oh shit, we have to write some songs for these... eh, jsut tape it altogether, sing about life and death and using your power--- there! Good as great!
Duran Duran's 1995 covers album Thank You was recently voted the worst album of all time by a Q magazine poll. Although we respectfully disagree (Sonic Youth's NYC Ghosts & Flowers is clearly the worst album of all time) -Pitchfork (hahahah!)

Here's a myspace of my music and 4-track ramblings
the electric kites--the jamz of me n my friends
hey alex is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|