View Single Post
Old 07.18.2007, 05:18 AM   #86
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
I concur. I know full well that Mr & B/ Iain are just trying to get a rise out of me because they're jealous of my fine, fine ass, but you have a good point that I'd direct elsewhere - there's a terrific amount of boorishness that surrounds music discussion which ignores the fact that music can just be simple and fun and something to dance around to, unironically and in a state of joy. I absolutely adore watching my little relatives dancing around without a care in the world to whatever they're into - and it should be noted, my neice is the only person I've ever seen dancing to Merzbow. Pop is not a dirty word, but I would concur when pop is equated to cynical money-making schemes like Westlife or the Spice Girls. It's very much a knife-edge argument - I have no idea why I absolutely adore Girls Aloud and think Boyzone are shit - but pop music can be some of the most exciting, life-affirming music out there that is enjoyed entirely un-pretentiously and without consideration for how 'important' (or whatever) it is. Again, the people calling me contrarian are very much not cunts, but there are a few people, some on this board, who treat rock/ pop as if it's some sort of rigorous academic discipline. Pop is fun, and ocassionally other things, but little else.

Anyway, after reading this thread yesterday I finally got round to watching the umbrella video, and I say crikey.

Also - Sophie Ellis Bextor has, once again, produced a brilliant song that's going to get ignored because she's got a terrible promotional team behind her. It's called today the sun's on us. Winner.

That sounds a little contradictory coming from you, though. And all purely for the fact that you seem to have a penchant for intellectualizing any music at any given turn. Apart from that, I agree with most of what you say on the above post. Music is there to be enjoyed, not just used as a weapon to make you look cool. Ah, the joys of thinking the obvious! In any case, this continuous over-analizing music is more a British malaise than anything. As far as I'm concerned it goes so far as to make music listeners feel ill, sometimes.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|