View Single Post
Old 07.17.2007, 01:26 PM   #83
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
Because people often discuss pop from a position of total apathy towards to it. At least on here. If someone mentions something like Stars are Blind they're thought of as either a contrarian or ironic. It's as though nobody can 'genuinely' like this stuff. Personally, I could never fully trust the taste of anyone who doesn't believe that Sister Sledge's 'Lost in Music' is one of the greatest works of art of the 20th century.

I concur. I know full well that Mr & B/ Iain are just trying to get a rise out of me because they're jealous of my fine, fine ass, but you have a good point that I'd direct elsewhere - there's a terrific amount of boorishness that surrounds music discussion which ignores the fact that music can just be simple and fun and something to dance around to, unironically and in a state of joy. I absolutely adore watching my little relatives dancing around without a care in the world to whatever they're into - and it should be noted, my neice is the only person I've ever seen dancing to Merzbow. Pop is not a dirty word, but I would concur when pop is equated to cynical money-making schemes like Westlife or the Spice Girls. It's very much a knife-edge argument - I have no idea why I absolutely adore Girls Aloud and think Boyzone are shit - but pop music can be some of the most exciting, life-affirming music out there that is enjoyed entirely un-pretentiously and without consideration for how 'important' (or whatever) it is. Again, the people calling me contrarian are very much not cunts, but there are a few people, some on this board, who treat rock/ pop as if it's some sort of rigorous academic discipline. Pop is fun, and ocassionally other things, but little else.

Anyway, after reading this thread yesterday I finally got round to watching the umbrella video, and I say crikey.

Also - Sophie Ellis Bextor has, once again, produced a brilliant song that's going to get ignored because she's got a terrible promotional team behind her. It's called today the sun's on us. Winner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|