View Single Post
Old 12.18.2008, 07:04 PM   #64
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
I pretty much agree, even though some directionless bullshit noise can occassionally be interesting too... but it's probably, technically, not "good" noise. It's hard to define "good", I guess. The problem with the noise scene, more than almost any other scene (except maybe prog rock), is trying to differentiate "good" from "Aesthetically pleasing". People in the noise scene seem to talk more about a cool idea than a truly great record -- "oh man, that guy recording himself clipping his fingernails through an effects pedal, this is an amazing record!" ... but, maybe it is. Just, whatever is interesting to listen to, whatever sparks your boner, etc.

Well, like any other type of music, there are those who have ever-evolving vision, and those who don't. Where Whitehouse are to me good-sounding sometimes, but ultimately leave me with the impression of a joke which has gone too far and isn't even funny, maybe because it draws life solely from provocation and representaion of pain/anguish, Merzbow tickles my interest in the most disparate ways, both visually and in terms of creating enthusiasm for stuff I didn't even think I'd have so much interest into, like elephants and their possible extintion, comics, Japanese doctors, black metal, sound artists, painters etc.

Also, his music doesn't so much present itself like a threat all the time, both in the way it sounds and the way it's composed, thought, and executed. My problem with certain noise is perhaps that it is too repetitive in intention, too unilateral in feeling, not just in the way it sounds, it's performed, or recorded.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|