View Single Post
Old 03.25.2016, 10:20 AM   #1206
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
I know plenty of Prince, man. Fun fact: Batman was the first album I ever bought on CD haha.

I think 1999 is great... but not a 10/10 (or 5/5 or whatever you wanna call it) to me. It's up there. But not quite.

I agree. It's a classic and it's excellent, but it's not perfect.

Sign O' the Times, the critical favorite and the album of choice for white music nerds who were raised to think of the White Album as the gold standard chaotic of rock n' roll creativity (like me), is a perfect 10/10 (5/5, whatever) in my opinion. And Purple Rain would have to be a 5/5, though perhaps not a 10/10.

The rest of his albums for me range between 1 (Hitnrun) to 7-8 (For You, Controversy, Batman).... Definitely a lot of shit to wade through in the past 20 years, but like Bowie, for every turd of a moment there's a majestic, beautiful, culture defining moment to balance it out. Just the chorus of "For You" makes most of his crap totally worth it. The verse on "Little Red Corvette" is so heavenly it makes hell itself seem a small, reasonable price to pay for the existence of such beauty.

I even like some of his duds, man. At least, some of the albums that are generally viewed as duds. I like The Love Symbol, Chaos and Disorder and Emancypation because I grew up with that shit. I couldn't unlike it if I tried. Those albums were released during my formative years, and I found them shocking and fascinating, totally different from everything else I was listening to back then. I don't fuck with a LOT of his more recent stuff (and by meow recent I probably mean... from the past 15 years) because I think he's a bit lost, and may be resting on his laurels while he does a bit of whatever the fuck pops into his head.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|