Thread: your top 10 cds
View Single Post
Old 03.11.2008, 01:47 PM   #155
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
I'll go with a classical 10 seeing as there's a lot of rock doing the rounds here - In no particular order:

Beethoven's 3rd (Karajan)
Bach's Goldberg variations (Gould)
Schoenberg's Verklarte Nacht (sextet not chamber version, I don't have the CD to hand to remember the name of them)
Saint-Saen's Piano Trios 1 & 2 (Florestan Trio)
Mahler's 3rd (Naxos Polish National radio symphony Orchestra)
Shostakovich's 13th (Netherlands Radio Philaharmonic Orchestra) - this turned my opinion around entirely on Shosters.
Bach's Sonatas and Partitas... Heifetz, although Kremer, Oistrackh, Segovia and Michael North all do great versions (I have too many copies of this music).
Part's Miserere (Hilliard Ensemble)
Hildegaard von Bingen - Origin of Fire (anonymous 4 - Marras, you got round to listening to this yet?)
Xenakis' Metastasis/ Pithoprakta/ Eonta (Chant du Monde recording)

This neglects the majesty of Feldman - of the 10 or so CDs of his, it's impossible to choose; same with Cage. There's actually a million things I'm missing off (Mozart, Strauss, Tchiakovsky, Schnittke, Radelescu, Penderecki, loads of early & baroque stuff etc etc) but it'll do for the now-being.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|