View Single Post
Old 01.12.2017, 10:14 AM   #21
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest
it's not about being hip, it's about nine inch nails being completely and inarguably shite innit and them being diametrically opposed to like everything a band like sonic youth would stand for....or whatever.

Don't be an asshole. Nothing is "completely and inarguably" anything, and you damn well know it. Do you know how much some people hate Sonic Youth? Surely you've encountered folks who would say the same exact thing about them.

Wait... Look... watch this: I disagree, and argue that nin is not shite

There. Proof that NIN is not "inarguably shite."

To be completely honest, I don't listen to Nine Inch Nails a lot. Maybe once every couple years I'll run through the albums on a mini-binge. There is no question that Trent has released some truly godawful shit over the years, and I'd never argue that NIN is, like, undeniably brilliant. But I listened to them all the time in my teens, so there's a lot of nostalgic value in the music for me. Their albums hold up a hell of a lot better than a lot of the alt-rock of the '90s. And in adulthood I've found a lot to like about Reznor's scores with Atticus Ross. He's made some interesting music in this decade.

Also, I think NIN actually helped me get into Sonic Youth. The Downward Spiral was instrumental in making me aware of the value of noise and dissonance in music. Soon after, I'd sought out EJST&NS and Washing Machine. I may never have committed to sitting through an 18-minute "Diamond Sea" if I hadn't been turned on to lengthy cacophonous sound collages by artists including but not limited to Nine Inch Nails.

Besides, hating on NIN for being empty corporate alt-rock is soooo 2001.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|