View Single Post
Old 12.20.2011, 08:31 AM   #19
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
I think the problem I have is that, while he's a good critic of the left, I don't think he's a good critic from the left. Personally, while he may have been a firm critic of kneejerk leftisms, I think he fell into as many mindwrongs as the cosy (Graun) left does.

I quote the above to illustrate a point relating to yours - a lot of the anti-capitalist left (quietly) celebrated 9/11 as a deflation of vulgar capitalism; Hitchen celebrates it as a forbear to the dissolution of literalist cod-religion. Both positions are inadequate, to my mind (and of course, the problem with sublime acts is always their impossibility).

But he's a journo, a writer, not a philosopher - when he wrote provocative things, they're to be taken in that context. I don't think he's an amazing thinker but I think he was a necessary writer. And even so - that article Keep Poppin Pimples posted above is pretty vile, invidious and cheap. Not every writer shits gold, obvs.

The triumphalism you mention is a problem for me, too. I wouldn't say that Hitchens was particularly guilty of it, though. I'd say he was more describing the excitement of 9/11, which I think a lot of people experienced, regardless of their political persuasion. It's very different to the triumphalism I note in writers like Zizek following the economic crisis or, say, Naomi Klein in light of hurricane Katrina, both of whom seemed a bit too pleased with events they clearly saw as conspiring to prove them right all along. I don't think Hitchens was ever interested in why 9/11 took place but rather how a certain Left-Liberal establishment (of which he was vaguely a part) felt and acted as a consequence of it.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|