View Single Post
Old 12.17.2011, 02:52 PM   #6
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by the ikara cult
Sad, but expected. I already agreed with his feelings on God so his writing on religion was more of a bolster to me, except when it came to helping me realise that its still alright to insult a religion if its followers in your country are a minority. I used to think it was bad form to speak unkindly about Islam considering there arent as many muslims here, plus after 9/11 i was very wary of going along with the kind of scumbags who use events like that as a justification to go after people and not ideas. So yeah, he helped show me that all ideas are always fair game, and people are only fair game if their statements/actions are offensive enough.

His writing/speeches on politics and history made me think alot harder about where I stood and why, made me change my mind on a few things, and admit that on some others I couldnt really decide.

I agree with almost all of this. It was his writing (along with Nick Cohen's and Bernard Henri-Levi's) on 9/11 and the war in Iraq that I found most interesting and which have definitely caused me to rethink certain things. I've not read much of his stuff on religion but what I have read struck me as being a far more insightful version of Dawkins' position.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|