View Single Post
Old 04.01.2012, 09:02 AM   #28
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decayed Rhapsody
Aw, Gabriele it's just not loud enough for you Why is it sad that anybody looks like a fag? That sounds awful loathsome. I like that Perfume Genius exists but I don't like anything that cloying, no matter who is doing it. The piano progression in that song is nice though. I think the video is supposed to be funny. The butch guy is a caricature of macho queerdom and you've got this waify twink putting on lipstick singing a saccharine love song with phallic talk about not being able to "keep it up." I think people are missing the humor of it and trying to make some big thing about sexuality and gender presentation. It's probably challenging for some straight people, but I'm a fag and I like my shit brash.

Right, I'll post something serious for once. I don't have anything against anyone who looks like a fag, least of all because I am a big, bouncy one myself. What I strongly dislike about that song/video, and in general about Perfume Genius, though, is that he portrays homosexual introspection in ways that I see as being a cul de sac for how homosexuals in general are portrayed in the media. What my gay friend really meant with that comment is that those two don't look queer enough, and the use we generally give to the word fag is one of a homosexual who doesn't dare enough. Those types are generally boring and while they cry out for open mindedness on sexual issues, their preocupations end up excluding other types of homosexuals in the process. He knows all too well what it's like to be criticised for his appearance because he has a peculiar way of dressing, but one that doesn't necessarily fit the feminine/masculine criteria.

Not sure what the gay scene in NY is like, but the one in London has changed dramatically since the mid-90s. Where before it was more mixed, now it seems mostly monopolised by the two types represented on that PF video: bear and twink. That's all fine, for as long as common acceptance and understanding is widespread for other less conventional types.

A whole chapter should be opened on the can of worms that is the weak visibility of lesbians and transgender people in predominantly male bars which, ironically, have posters on the walls promoting a halt to transphobia etc. Home is where the hurt is.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|