View Single Post
Old 10.07.2010, 04:02 PM   #54
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Re: films, there are auteurs and then there are studio men. Look at DePalma's more personal films, and his more "studio" type films (Mission: Impossible). There's plenty of artistry in his camera movements and editing choices, though I don't think $100,000,000 films are "artistic". But DePalma is definitely an artist, as are Ozu, Jost, Godard, Kitano, etc. -- basically, directors who live and die for their films, and are usually not very financially successful. But very very few directors are auteurs and display any artistic flourishes in getting their films made. Most films are made for money -- the films made for the love of making a film, ie films that are a bit more personal, demand a respect for their artistry. Maybe "movies" aren't an "art form", but if they're not, then novels/painters/video games/music/etc aren't art forms, since it can be argued that all of that stuff is just for money, and just manfuactured. And, hell, most of it is. But there are real artists doing personal and brilliant art, too.

NOTE: Steve Albini's favorite film of all time is "Used Cars", which is one of the best comedies ever!

Amazing film.

As for Albini's politics, he's always been caught up with "integrity" and whatnot. He usually makes some great points, but more often than not, he comes across as bitter and usually just make me go "Yeah, but who cares?" It's worked well for him; Shellac is one of the only bands ever to be successful without a manger (Fugazi also comes to mind), videos, major label backings, and releasing an album only once in a blue moon. So, yeah, I dunno... I'd say, regardless of what crazy shit he's said, he produced Space Streakings albums and that makes him one of the coolest people ever! Anyway, here's a GREAT interview with him:

http://www.markprindle.com/albini-i.htm

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|