Thread: Made in USA
View Single Post
Old 08.08.2007, 01:42 PM   #14
Washing Machine
expwy. to yr skull

Washing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's asses
Lisa Caver's liner notes in EVOL explain the whole feeling of the record better than I can:

It was June, 1986. I was 17 - a New Hampshire native flying to Los Angeles with my best friend Rachel, 16, who dropped out of school to come with me. We didn't have any plans. We claimed our luggage and then the awful realization of our stupidity hit us - we didn't know where to sleep that night (or what to do after that). A kind policeman suggested we stay at a youth hostel. We did and hitched a ride the next day with an Australian named Ian who was going north (because Rachel decided she didn't like Southern California's trees). On the road, Ian pulled a knife and she screamed - then he cut a hunk of cheese. We finally ended up in Hayward, City Of Sin; about 50 used car lots, a cemetery and us. We had to give the landlord three months rent in advance because he thought we were runaways and was scared to have us as tenants. We rode the bus to San Francisco. While we knew some weird life existed (because everyone looked so bizarre), we didn't know a thing about it. We'd seen Sid and Nancy but this was something different, something happening in our time. We asked an employee at a record store to show us the good records. He picked records by SCRATCH ACID, LYDIA LUNCH, THE SWANS and SONIC YOUTH.

Lung leg - fierce! It is a terribly good thing for young girls to have fierce role models. Kim Gordon's bang is over her left eyebrow (making the brow look arched and thick). Rachel and I called her a "wind face." Another fierce female, Kim. Thurston Moore looks like he's about to saying something - and judging by the SONIC YOUTH videos that I've seen, he is. Steve Shelley looks about 12. Lee Ranaldo looks like the kind of guy who would write about car wrecks.

"Tom Violence" - I didn't know what it was about but I knew it was exciting because the world "violence" was in it. "I left home for experience" - me, too! "Carved suk for honesty on my chest." I was loyal to the truth, too. In fact, I spent so much time being loyal to the truth I got fired from Honeybear Yogurt. I had fantasies of Thurston Moore and David Bowie having sex. Why? I have no idea. Rachel and I would elbow each other madly whenever we saw tall guys with floppy blond hair, but they always turned out to be surfers, not Thurston.

"Shadow Of A Doubt" - Didn't have the word "violence" in it - it was violence. Plunging headlong, silently, with great noise all around, to destruction. The bliss of near impact.

"Star Power" - Even the music is in love.
"In the Kingdom #19" - The ultimate hipster response to disaster; "Smoke and flames, All right." Horrible how they ran over the small animal. Actually, I think this story is about states of existence.

"Green Light" - This song and "Star Power" taught me about love. Before hearing these three songs, I thought love had to be on moors and everyone had to be made like beasts and then die. But love can be a beautiful, hazy-green light. Green means go ahead.

"Death To Our Friends" - Climbing and descending. There are all kinds of things you can climb and descend.

"Secret Girl" - I remember listening to this on a walkman by the pool at our apartment complex. I never went in the pool because a family of 12 were in there peeing all the time. Kim Gordon's urgent secrets told with little more than her breath transported me.

"Marilyn Moore" - Begins with Thurston calling his cattle home and getting pissed when they don't come home. Marilyn Moore is like Baby Doll in the moving poster. Housewife or sleazy woman on prescription drugs and welfare...who's not getting any.

"Madonna, Sean and Me" - I wanted to kill the California girls, too. I wanted to fire the exploding load! I wanted to find the meaning of feeling good. This song is, I believe, about getting really, really close to someone - almost inside them. Then I think these really close people in the song went out and did bad things, like the Manson family did.
"Bubblegum" - Rock me like a hurricane! Ride the hyena to the edge! That feeling that anything's possible is all over this album, but it's especially shining here.

These songs say dreams are real. I can't think of a finer guide than "E.V.O.L." for a young person just discovering the wide world. Here are songs of total exploration, no positioning oneself on the dark side or the anti-dark side. Here are songs of total freedom. Give them to your little sister on her birthday.

Lisa Crystal Carver
San Francisco
August 20, 1993