View Single Post
Old 03.14.2015, 11:58 AM   #18622
Antagon
invito al cielo

Antagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's asses
I didn't necessarily look for a deeper meaning, but I admit all those rave reviews around the time of its release did influence my expectations. All this "Exhillerating, slow moving Neo-Noir" and whatnot. They really made it sound like a modern Taxi Driver or some great character-based film with a morally gray, tight-lipped protagonist. He was somewhat morally gray and certainly tight-lipped but I thought all the stuff around him was just too distracting.

Yes, it certainly was glossy. The style just didn't fully connect with me. I didn't hate the movie though. Some of the quieter moments were brilliantly executed and some nice cinematography here and there. It's just that some of the creative choices, in my opinion at least, really clashed with the tone set by the brilliant opening. But then again, I didn't hate it. I thought it was certainly a mess but an interesting one. I guess it all boils down to tonal issues in my case. But I can see why people like it.

Antagon is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|