Thread: Baseball Thread
View Single Post
Old 05.14.2013, 05:13 PM   #6
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
Haha, I recently got interested in baseball, too, and the team I like also happen to be the Mets. (I wonder if it's an English thing, certainly nothing to do with glory hunting). I saw them at Citi Fields last year, losing to the Diamondbacks.

I've thought about the English thing too. I do like the fact that they are in the same city as the most famous team in baseball, and I get to like the minority side. And I have to admit, supporting Manchester City over the past couple of years, great though it has been at times, hasn't been nearly as enjoyable as when we were s***.

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
A neat little piece of trivia: baseball very nearly got a proper foothold in England in the 1930s, with football teams like West Ham and Spurs developing professional baseball teams that had strong local support (despite most of their players being either American or Canadian). It all collapsed with the outbreak of WWII and never recovered after that but for a while England demonstrated how the World Series could've become a genuinely global competition.

A shame. Maybe it still can. Countries like the Dominican Republic have very serious firepower in the MLB now. Didn't know that about the English teams though, thanks.

Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/outsidethecamp/
Hip Priest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|