View Single Post
Old 04.13.2006, 05:01 PM   #118
AllHandsOnTheBigOne
children of satan

AllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feelyat
Well, some people just don't care about timing, I suppose. And of course it doesn't matter to you -- that was the whole point of my lengthy post.

This is a non-issue. Clearly only hardcore Sonic Youth fans are going to download the leaked copies of their upcoming record. Average Joe Internet doesn't give a shit about "Do You Believe In Rapture?", I'm sure.

I think a lot of people care about packaging. I think that number is steadily decreasing as the internet gets bigger and bigger, but I do think that a significant number of people are affected in some way by the packaging, by the physical presentation of the music.

We're pretty much in agreement about all this.

Quote:
And packaging aside, sure, music is music, but a lot can be said of the fidelity of the music. If it's in an inferior format, the music probably isn't going to be effective in the way it was intended. It's like all those people that go to art museums and take digital photos of paintings. You can say an image is an image, but the actual painting is always going to be more intriguing than the digital photo of it.

I understand what you're saying, but it's irrelevant. Sonic Youth can't control every single aspect of my listening conditions, even if I purchase the album. Maybe I have a really shitty stereo while someone else has top of the line audio equipment. I guess their experience of that music is closer to the artist's intentions than mine. But either way, Sonic Youth have no control over it.