View Single Post
Old 08.22.2009, 12:02 PM   #50
davenotdead
invito al cielo

davenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by notyourfiend
No I was not. In many ways, this is exactly where I want/need to be right now. However, I think it says something that volunteerism is so de-valued that people who are willing to give up a year of their lives to work for the betterment of the world around them are literally paid shit.

The problem isn't pure capitalism or anything...as I've kind of been mentioning throughout this thread it is, in my opinion, that we continue to value profit over everything else. Call me a dreamer, but I really like to try to envision a world where that which is living is a first priority.

to the bold: thats why its called "volunteer work"

also, a lot of the richest people of the world are also the biggest philanthropists. i could argue that bill gates does more to help 'the world' than 99.9% of the poor starving artist liberals do, just because they recycle and choose bikes over cars etc... they think that gives them the right to yell/scoff at rich people.

of course the world would be better if people weren't greedy. but taking away incentives for people who work hard to make money, well i just don't think that would help

davenotdead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|