View Single Post
Old 04.08.2010, 03:59 PM   #10024
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilduclo
I'd go

Miller's Crossing
Fargo
The Man who Wasn't There
A Serious Man

the reason I don't like No Country is that it's really a correct interpretation of the Cormac book, so the Coens do not do their usual snappy dialog. If they made their OWN border movie, which would be GREAT, I'm sure, there would be some really nice dialog, especially among the gang members. Being that Cormac is maybe a little more racist than is generally seen (IMO) the Mexicans are really shorted in favor of the white folks in the movie, but that is how the book was, so it is a very good Cormac movie, but I don't think it should be top of the Coens.....

Cormac McCarthy is my favorite novelist, well second behind Faulkner anyways. I've heard my professors talk about his alleged racism, but I don't see it. In "Blood Meridian" for instance, violence is the end all. It breaks down the old Hollywood themes of heroic cowbows v. indian savages and newer archetypes of sociopath cowboys stripping natives of their land. In BM, violence is the only solution, and no group of people are any more brutal than any other. Except the Judge, who stands alone.

I thought the Coens' film was a perfect interpretation of McCarthy. NCFOM was McCarthy's stab at pulp, it was a crime novel but still riddled with tons of philosophy and beautiful prose. The Coens kept close to the novel but made it distinctly theirs.

I'm really excited to see what Todd FIelds does with the Blood Meridian adaptation. It really is the most ambitious adaptation since Moby Dick. Has anyone heard who is being looked at to play the Judge? There can't be many 7 footers out there who can act. I think John Lithgow could work.

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|