View Single Post
Old 01.04.2016, 11:11 AM   #57
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest
sorry for the slownessssssss

apologies dude not having a go at you, it's just from my perspective tame impala are representative of something (or I suppose nothing) which seems wholly antithetical to so much else of what's represented in your list. I mean just on a cursory glance I can't see how you can reconcile say tame impala or jamie xx, godspeed etc with o'rourke/ambarchi, fsa, sightings in that the former invariably trade in stock emotional provocation whereas the latter so unflinchingly deliver singular music as if to protest how deliberately milquetoast the others are. which of course isn't to say that an individualistic streak equates to great music, because that's obviously a complete load of shit.

but hey. whatever. to each their own. I can't unravel my logic here.

No worries man. I wasn't (how do kids in the Midwest say.... ah, yes! "butt hurt") .. I wasn't "butt hurt" about it. Especially because I really, really, honestly, do not have any connection at all to Tame Impala. They didn't come anywhere close to my actual year-end list; list I posted was just a list of the albums I'd purchased in 2015, by month of release. And I don't know if I ever listened to Currents more than once all the way through. But hey, what can I say, it's not the crappest alt rocky album of the year.

As for reconciling really populous, fan servicing artists like Tame Impala and Jamie XX with noise and punk and experimental bands... There's no reconciliation to be done! I am, in my heart of hearts, a post punk and noise rock dude, with a good amount of electronic and hip-hop thrown in... But that doesn't mean I don't let my ears make the final decisions. I will not claim I don't like an album or a song if my ears and brain tell me I do.

So, while I'm never going to give as much of a fuck about dumb, ear candy pop as I do about Fugazi and Sonic Youth, Wire and Can, FSA or Unwound, I still will buy a record if the record sounds good to me. So I bought Tame Impala's record because the singles sounded good to me. Same with Jamie xx, though that album quickly lost its charm. I can't believe everyone's kissing his ass when Prefuse 73 and Squarepusher and HudMo and Botany are being ignored entirely. (Nobody can say that mogherfucker is more talented than Tom Jenkinson... bitch, please!)

Anyway, I see where you're coming from and all, but I'm just not that hung up on the political side of things anymore.

Also, I don't really think there's just cause to lump Godspeed in with Tame Impala and Jamie xx... (yet).

Godspeed's album this year wasn't any kind of revelation, but nothing they've done since ...Antennas to Heaven has really been a massive progression anyway. Yanqui was top knotch, but not a high point, and since their reunion they've dropped these two albums that sound more or less like b-side or demos collections. But the albums still pack a punch, and they're still following their own path. Have you heard Jerusalem In My Heart? Anyway, I'd say all things considered they're more on the Ambarchi/sightings/FSA side of things than the Tame Impala/Jamie xx/Coldplay side of things. For now.

Peace, brother.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|