View Single Post
Old 02.21.2011, 03:54 PM   #61
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by the ikara cult
Any new Radiohead release makes me go a bit Pseudo-Freud, wondering if listening to it will send me digging into the past for something buried from when i was 13 and they were the only thing that kept me going, and whether it can explain things that have gone on since. So every time they release something now im in my 20s, im honestly a little afraid of what sitting down and listening to it will do to me.

So on Wednesday im gonna be 26, 13 years since i first listened to Radiohead, which was 13 years from my birth. Lucky me.

that is what music does for all of us. however, it also gives you a new vehicle to define and understand how you have grown and evolved as a person. good music changes with you, because the artists are being sincere and reflecting their own individual growths as people, not just blindingly abstract music. Artists who chase that same sound over and over again are plastic. This is what Chino from deftones was saying about Jon Davis from koRn, like "dude, are you still writing songs about being pissed off in high school? Its not like we live with our parents anymore.." The substance and feel/vibe of music should reflect the flux of life, the growth and change as we all become new and growing people in our lives, in our families, in our jobs, in our respective places in the world. I've said it before, music should literally be the soundtrack to the movie of our lives, it should aptly reflect these changes and give form and meaning to them

This has been my beef over the years with sonic youth fans, a lot of y'all want SY to stay plastic int he Daydream Nation era, playing the exact same sounding shit across three decades, but that is a LOOOONG time for people (ie, the band) to grow and experience changes, the music they make should always reflect these changes to be sincere, and further we are not static fans, be we are also growing older and evolving with the band.

music needs to stay relevant with who we all become as people, as life is not static and neither are our personalities, we are always a becoming..

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|