View Single Post
Old 12.12.2010, 03:37 PM   #20
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decayed Rhapsody
Word.

I see queer/gender/feminist/whatever liberation in a very traditional leftist way. A conduit for entering larger struggles for social change. Eventually we need to get to a point where identifiers are irrelevant. This is still too radical for some people. I am opposed to exclusionist politics, and that's what riot grrrl ended up becoming. And still is in some ways. It's a very narrow identity politics plagued by GUILT. I have witnessed honest political discourse shut down in "womyn safe spaces" because people were afraid it would be "triggering or offensive." I'm sorry, but how are you going to work out issues with people if you can't have an honest discussion? How are you going to even call out oppressive bullshit if you don't have an honest discussion to bring said bullshit to the surface? People get off on feeling guilty without bothering to fight the SYSTEM or the material reasons that create oppression. It's empty lifestyle politics for undergrads and it's yet another one of the reasons why The Left in America is in a coma.
We're neither women nor gays. We're human beings.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|