View Single Post
Old 04.05.2015, 04:45 PM   #1147
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
^^ you need roughly 50g protein per day. more if you train.

of course all vegetables have some protein but the issue is if you're getting enough.

animal protein is the best source (essential aminos, easily absorbable, in the right ratios), but if you really really really don't wanna eat meats for whatever reason--

try eggs & dairy products-- egg is the most perfect protein and milk is best in fermented form (yogurt/cheese) as it's rid of lactose plus it has some added nutrients from the microbes.

if for some kind of reason you really really really don't want to eat from ANY animal sources then you have to be careful with what you eat so you get all your essential aminoacids in the right amount, and then supplement with b-12 and omega-3 (or eat a lot of seaweed which has omega 3 plus EPA and DHA-- i looooooove seaweed salad).

biggest source of vegetable protein are legumes-- soy, all beans, other pulses like lentils and peas, etc. soy is best fermented (eg. tofu, miso, etc) as it get rid of anitnutrients. the jury is still out in it's hormonal effects so eat some but not too much (e.g., tofu is a delicacy in asia not something that gets gobbled 3 times a day).also soy is the most genetically modified of all GMO crops-- so tread carefully there. beans benefit from an overnight soak to remove of the shitty stuff-- i love beans and i eat them almost daily.

then you have nuts and seeds. of the nuts i think the almond is the highest in protein. peanuts are legumes not true nuts but they have good protein too. seeds like pumpkin, sunflower, sesame, etc. also have good protein plus some great minerals. quinoa and amaranth are seeds and have a great aminoacid profile (high in lysine which is rare in vegs). for some reason when i eat quinoa i get hungry right after again-- lately i got a mix of and quinoa with amaranth and millet that sticks to my ribs more.

some grains are pretty high in protein-- e.g. durum wheat has the most i think, and barley 2nd? (roman gladiators used to eat barley and were actually fat but strong). all other grains (oats, regular wheat, etc.) have it too. in spite of all the gluten hysteria, gluten (a type of protein in grains) is what allowed mediterranean civilizations to thrive. some people have problems with gluten, but they tend to be of irish extraction-- it's genetic.

some greens like kale are actually high in protein-- i like to stir fry kale shake some soy sauce and add some almonds-- potent stuff. but lettuce, tomatoes, etc,-- are not going to be.

the challenge here is to balance the food sources so you get all your required aminoacids and nutrients. for my money, it's easier to follow traditional diets (e.g. indian or japanese) & eat traditional dishes (e.g., hummus which combines a bean and a seed, rice and beans which complement each other's amino profile, etc.) that have already worked out those problems. hummus works better with a hardboiled egg though

[eta: here is an example of getting your full aminoacids with garbanzo as a base: http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/amin...nzos-1495.html ]

your part of the world is full of fantastic choices in that regard-- lots of great traditional vegetarian staples & dishes-- throw in a little sardine here & there (fresh not canned!) just to make sure you're not missing anything, if you can.

last thing to consider as you switch to vegetable protein sources is that they usually come with a sizable amount of carbohydrates per gram of protein; this means that you're going to have to work off those carbs or you'll puff up. i.e., if you'll be eating like a peasant you'll have to work like one a little bit-- do some cardio every day, stay active through the day, etc.

===

im broiling a tray of chicken thighs. rubbed with garlic, soy sauce and olive oil. to eat all week. kinda meh (it's industrial chicken, which sucks the big one, but i had it frozen for backup and now it must go).
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|