View Single Post
Old 01.20.2010, 04:13 PM   #39
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i've skimmed over the useless drama that ensued in this thread but i did read and like the original letter and maybe even the responses from the musician in question--- even if i don't know what the fuck is the c minor pentatonic scale (something about missing notes.. something?)

anyway, nice read, makes me want to re-subscribe to the wire even though it costs a fucking mint and i was unable to ever read 1/2 of it-- but the wire tappers were good!

what was i mumbling about... i forget... oh yeah, good read, thanks.
QUOTE]
Nevermind the useless drama or The Wire, get yourself the record because it's fantastic. I agree with the original letter myself, which I personally don't think is suggesting the record is a bad one, just pointing out that on a purely technical level it doesn't sound like the points of reference the reviewer made the focal point of his review. I mean, I'm far from being an expert musicologist, but when I read the review and played the record at the same time I was wondering what he was going on about. In Pouncey's defence I'd say the letter seems to read a little too harsh condeming what is probably just enthusiasm for a brilliant record gone too far up its own arse. Bill Orcutt himself brings up a good point about influence not always having to be literal or purely musical, even though I think that will only really make more sense to the artist than most other people.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|