View Single Post
Old 06.05.2017, 03:22 PM   #124
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Proper albums are few and far between in contemporary electronic music. Too many fuckin' EPs, video game soundtracks, 3-track singles, data dumps, etc. To me, none of that shit can compare to getting an actual fucking album, with packaging and a theme and art and a tour, signaling a new era for an artist.
I think that's because you approach it from an indie/etc background/point of view - I might very well be wrong of course. I know that all too well because that's how I got into electronic music as well it's just a completely different musical ecology with its own norms and a completely different approach to writing/releasing music, and EPs make a lot of sense in that context - they can be just as era-defining as albums in that case.
but I completely get you, that's one thing that used to really bother me with electronic music at first, and is why I (and I think a lot of people) was first mostly into artists such as Autechre, Burial or the likes who release albums where you can feel their evolution. But yeah, the whole footwork/jungle hybrid that's going off at the moment completely emerged out of EPs and it's a completely new aesthetic, same with the future beats d&b stuff.

It's tough though as it implies much more implication to properly follow stuff - that's actually how I began nearly listening to nothing but electronic music at some point, drowning deep into it seemed like the only way to really get what was going on
SYRFox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|