Thread: street art?
View Single Post
Old 01.31.2008, 07:54 PM   #44
Norma J
invito al cielo

Norma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix
entitled to yr opinion.

but personally I really beleive it depends a lot on the area. And there are places where I live that would look so awful without the constant interaction they have with the community of artists who live in them. It makes my world feel alive, rather than.. concrete and commercial. We're surrounded by PAID art, shoved down our throats. I'd much rather see people expressing themselves in beautiful artistic ways in place of all of those advertising spaces.

The thing is, 98% of 'street art' is shit. It's very rare that you see graffiti by a talented artist on the side of a wall. Probably because if someone is that talented they'd probably put their talent to use elsewhere.

And this 'concrete and commerical' statement doesn't hold much weight with me, considering 'street art' is rarely political, so it's just as meaningless as paid advertisement anyway.

All this being said though, I bought a book called 'uncommonissioned art - A - Z of Australian Graffiti' for a friend. It's a good book, worth checking out. But it's a good book because it's the 'best' works from all over this country and the 'street art' has been created by thinking people that are within the 2%, for me.