View Single Post
Old 06.26.2014, 11:15 PM   #52
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
I disagree with the statement that young folks experience music better neurologically, specifically because the older brain is more mature, more developed, more evolved neurologically speaking. The pathways and thought patterns are more defined, so how an older person experiences listening to music is much more sophisticated and involved than a young person. If anything, young folks may be more overwhelmed by neurochemical avalanches, but even from my own experience listening to music as a teenager and listening to music in my 30s I think music hits me WAY harder.

Music didn't used to knock me on my ass, or assault me with nostalgia, or overwhelm me with true bliss the way it does now. Sure, it was a bit more exciting at a younger age, but I think I have more control of this excitement, I understand and use it better.

Of course my significant bias might be that I've been PLAYING instruments and music in bands for 15 years now, so my brain has had a chance to evolve musically in a different way than just someone who listens to it. My brain might be more engaged in the instrumentation and sound of music itself than it was when I was a teenager because my brain is so much better at analyzing and interpreting this music and then successfully either duplicating, imitating, or integrating its sound into my own instrumentation and playing. Whether or not the younger brain enjoys music better, it is a proven fact that the older and more experienced brain processes and performs music better. In fact, what makes a true savant is when a brain injury causes an accidental development within the neurological pathways. For example, savants who almost miraculously play piano out of nowhere are revealed in brain scans to have a rapid increase in activity in the same exact parts of the brain as a trained pianist. You have to practice practice practice your instrument to in a way "hard wire" this talent, something which a young brain simply can't do in its short time compared to an older, more experienced brain, neurologically speaking.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|