Thread: LULU
View Single Post
Old 11.07.2011, 06:10 PM   #63
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortte Jousimo
I havenīt heard the whole record, but what Iīve heard it sound to me miserable. Lyrics may be great, but the way Lou "sings" them is miserable. I also like some music that I consider perverse, but I donīt think this is perverse. But of course everybody have own opionions about whatīs perverse.
I assume that with ''miserable'' in this case you mean ''not pleasant to the ear''. Lou Reed's voice has never really sounded pretty to my ears, but somehow he's got a way of intoning words which I've always found interesting. And on his best music it really works. I'd say his voice is overall at its most pleasant on ''Transformer'', ''Berlin'' and some songs on ''Coney Island Baby''. Over the years the same voice turned from coldly flat to plain dull-sounding and kind of forced, where before it had a spiteful, and occasionally mantric quality to it I could appreciate. I think on this record he started playing with it again for the first time in many years. It's genuinely angry and grotesque sounding, like your most feared uncle when he turns up completely drunk at the family christmas gathering, and suddenly he playfully tries to strangle you. That kind of WTF factor. Reed on top form does the WTF thing better than you and me. Boo woo!
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|