View Single Post
Old 08.12.2010, 05:30 PM   #1
raoulduke71
empty page

raoulduke71 has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
As a native Arizonan (of Mexican descent) living in New York City, I regard Kim Gordon as "semi-intelligent."

She recently said she's always regarded Arizona as "semi-evil." She shouldn't get away with that.

What does she have to say for the racially based-violence in New York City and Long Island, which far exceeds the level of violence in Arizona at any point in history? Violence on Long Island against Latinos is very well documented. The New York Times is one publication that has scores of articles on this issue. That's not a law or a proposal, that's actual physical violence and death.

There was a murder of a Latino man near Prospect Park, which many Latinos in Brooklyn are labelling racially-motivated, after a Sonic Youth concert took place there on July 31. Obviously the violence has nothing to do with Sonic Youth, but demostrates the hypocrisy in referring to Arizona, or any grouping of people, as "semi-evil."

Fact is, Kim Gordon wants to look politically aware by being sensational and comes out looking the exact opposite. Hurting Arizona business doesn't fight SB1070. It actually weakens the power of the citizenry to influence government.

Be against our law, Kim Gordon, as most Arizonans are. I certainly am. Just know that, given the immigration situation near our border, Arizona still has less violence than New York within its borders. Not by volume either, by proportion as well.

Or be consistent and boycott your own city. (If, in fact, you are from New York City. I neither know nor care.)

Just don't think your reactionary understanding of this issue is actually accomplishing anything or helping anyone. Protest Arizona even, it's your right. You should, however, make more intelligent statements about the issue or actually do something productive towards fighting SB1070 with whatever public clout you have, if you actually want to change what's happening. You just came across as someone very ignorant posing as someone who is socially aware.

It's fine if you don't want to "celebrate Arizona" Kim. Arizonans tend not to celebrate the less-than-stellar music you've been putting out for the last 15-20 years. I do, however, and that's why your comments hurt.

Sonic Youth still rocks!

Down with SB1070!
raoulduke71 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|