View Single Post
Old 06.26.2008, 10:59 AM   #68
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan
electronic music will take over as the next big thing. I feel like this whole 8-bit fad is going to be really influential in pop music in the next 10-15 years.

I decided to pick this particular post to quote in and amoungst all the guff that's been spread in this thread. There was a 'N Sync record at the arse-end of last century with a glitch section. Pop music has been pillaging electronic(a) music for at least 15 years. There was an Aphex Twin song on a car advert, and a mobile phone advert, in the mid-90s. Listen to any TV soundtracks, and any TV adverts - electronic music is as, if not more, mainstream than 'rock' music. Electronic(a) music hasn't been new or radical (as a means of producing sound) in properly mainstream popular culture since they started using electronic instruments for background in adverts (i.e., sometime around the early '50s).

There's this common idea in rock fans that electronic(a) music is somehow entirely distinct from rock/ pop music, and it's confused me for a while now, because I've never known anyone in the hip-hop/ dance scene who didn't listen to a lot of rock/ pop music - or better, who wasn't comfortable with 'real' instruments.

Also, while I'm about it - there's an awful lot people around here who really need to sort their ears out. T&B hit the nail on the head saying 'Battles are Tortoise with math-rock' except to mention that Tortoise are pretty much responsible for the 'genre' (such as it is) of 'math-rock'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|