Thread: A Higher Power
View Single Post
Old 06.27.2006, 06:53 PM   #1
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
The existance of whether there is a higher power or not frequently crosses my mind. I'm currently agnostic, there's theories for and against higher powers and I can't decide which to believe.

The omnipotence theory is the primary reason why I don't believe in a higher power. If there is something that can do everything, it will be able to look into it's own future. Doing so, it can see the choices it makes in the future; hence, it's future is predetermined. This results in it not having a free will, for it cannot make any choices being that everything it does is predetermined. A common retort to this is "God can always change his mind". On the contrary, if God can do anything, when he forsees his future he would have already seen the changes that he made. There's no way that there can be something that knows everything.

Our entire existence is what pushes me to believe in a higher power. I believe in the big bang theory, but what exactly created the big bang? Scientists say it was a gathering of particles that created an explosion, but where would the particles come from if there was nothing before the big bang? You can't make something out of nothing. It's like eating out of an empty bowl, somebody has to put something in it in order for you to eat off it.

This brings me to why I think science is wrong. If the big bang created the universe, and before the universe there was nothing, how much time did it take before the big bang happened? There would have to be infinite years, because there is no start of time. If there was nothing, then would there even be a value of time? Time is fictional and manmade used as a form of measurment. It's like math. We use rulers to measure things, but it is impossible to get any exact number, because they are infinitive. You can always cut a number in half. How can I trust science when two of the most commonly used elements (Time & Math) are only man made illusions?

Thanks for reading this. I'd like to hear some input!