Thread: the other news
View Single Post
Old 05.27.2019, 10:04 AM   #519
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
I don't agree with large chunks of this but it's an interesting assessment from a Corbyn-sympathetic/pro-Remain perspective.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...-corbyn-labour

thnaks for that link, interesting read.

there are a lot of domestic details and names it would take me too long to catch up with, but i actually agree with the main conclusion of that piece i think.

(and yes, i agree to disagree with you by default: i’m neither a preacher nor a high-pressure salesman. i enjoy interesting disagreements because they are illuminating.)

i think it’s correct to assess as in that article that no soft brexit is possible any longer: you’re either staying or crashing out. and the crash might be by choice or by getting booted (by a macron veto to an extension for example).

i think also that “remain and reform” is the right answer to the criticisms of europe that you have made (antidemocratic impulses and ruling by austerity).

right now for example italy is facing a fine for failing to rein in her debt. and yes their ballooning debt is a horror, but maybe that’s not the way to deal with it? (i’m not offering a solution here btw, just questioning europe’s response.)

i have no national dog in this fight, and i’m not partisan. actually, i confess to having small bets right now on britain crashing out—but that is based on probabilities and other factors, not on personal wishes. my bets might change as things develop. purely practical.

but from a larger perspective, values, etc, i think globalization and integration are inevitable, and so it’s in everyone’s interest that we do that in the best possible manner. yes, there will be political hurdles, but those are better than war.

letting communist china or gangster russia gain an upper hand in this race to establish global standards holds zero appeal to me. the rest are skirmishes that need constructive resolution, not breakups. the usa pulling out of the tpp was a dunce move that only empowers communist china, for example.

i think we can’t go back to old labor movements, and rather than making demands from paternalistic schemes the labor force needs to become more entrepreneurial in its offer. this can be done in the context of organized labor, where unions can operate as sellers/agents for themselves. and the role of government would be to reduce friction in labor markets so that workers can relocate/retrain/refit with minimal pain and a reasonable safety net.

but i recognize that this is a bit of a theoretical leap in the face of more immediate matters, and maybe i’ve gone slightly off a tangent hahaha. but no, that’s just to explain where i’m ultimately coming from.

so, yeah, i think remain and reform would be a better embrace of history than corbyn’s dino-marxist evasions.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|