View Single Post
Old 12.03.2008, 09:33 PM   #87
RdTv
invito al cielo

RdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Air
Yeah funk was in full steam, but it wasn't about looking back at it yet, which is what I meant. When Kool Herc and Flash were inventing the break beat dj style it was all about keeping that James Brown or George Clinton bridge going and going. It was a form of sonic archeology that the Last Poets wouldn't have been doing because the original funksters were their contemporaries.

I thought of Gill Scott-Heron too, but I think he's more an example of influencing rap than creating it ahead of time than they are. He was very tied into soul music and his poetry to me seems closer to an expression of soul that proto-rap (but then I wouldn't really argue with somebody who interpreted it the other way). It's just that he was as likely to break into song as chant, a good example being "Home is Where the Hatred Is" while the Last Poets really traded rhymes in a style that seems (pre-) reminscent of what early hip hop groups were famous for.

Cool, I got you man. You're right about the LP's and origins of rap. Dudes weren't sampling Omar-Bin Hasaan or the other poets until the ''golden era'' which in this case we will designate as 88-94.
RdTv is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|