Thread: Jimi Hendrix
View Single Post
Old 03.10.2010, 04:00 PM   #12
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
what what? I thought all the materia had been mined already! good to know.

they had :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeping It Simple
There's a new album coming out in March featuring previously unreleased material! The material was recorded shortly before his death. The album will also include several songs from bootleg recordings.

this album is mediocre at best, I am not necessarily regretting its purchase, but it is by NO means what it could/should have been..
essentially this is a bammer album because it is the final shindig with Noel Redding, who had to splitt because his chemistry with Jimi was failing to put it euphemistically...

the highlight is the title track and the legit recordings of the Billy Cox stuff like Stone Free and there is a brilliant rendition of Bleeding Heart.

The Hear my Train A Comin is eh

Mr Bad Luck is decent

horrible jam version of Sunshine of Your Love

not to fly cut of Lover Man

Ship Passing Through the Night is also decent

blah blah woof woof repeat bad take of Fire/Red House..

I also enjoyed Lullaby for Summer though this Crying Blue Rain is just an early instrumental for Its Too Bad (which is a much better tune)

all in all this was not the finished album they advertised, it is basically crap. The new tunes do not have vocals, the audio is terrible and static, the mix-down is usual Kramer disaster (I swear they should not let Kramer do ANY more Hendrix archive remastering because his bad ear keeps killing it )

it feels stagnant, slow and uneventful, where as the live stuff (including ALL the material from this album aside from title track) is high energy, exciting and polished. This album is the PERFECT explanation as to why Jimi literally kicked Noel out of the group and replaced him with Billy Cox. The chemistry between Cox and Jimi is dynamite, and it shows in the Cox tunes on this album...

Jimi was a wise man to drop Noel, and if you listen to 1969/1970 live stuff and new stuff sans Noel it is brutally obvious..

I give this record two out of five stars, go get the BoxSet from 2000 if you are looking for legitimate Hendrix Archive material, you will by no means be disappointed I assure you all.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|