View Single Post
Old 02.13.2021, 11:35 PM   #3
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneticKiss
Lately when I have a long assignment to do on the computer that doesn't have anything to do with music, I've been going to the TV Tropes article on Mohs Scale of Rock and Metal Hardness and flipping through the various levels to get some background music. Sonic Youth have a few entries in the example lists, starting with "Incinerate" at Level 3, but they top it off with "Freezer Burn/I Wanna Be Your Dog" at Level 10 (alongside artists/bands like Burzum and Periphery) just because of the roughness of the recording. They rank "Silver Rocket" at Level 8 for the noise section alone.

I don't think "FB/IWBYD" should be ranked as their hardest song. I'd give that honor to "Orange Rolls, Angel's Spit" because it's so discordant plus the aggression of Kim's vocals. Which would you guys pick, and for those familiar, where would you rank it on the scale?

Hmm, "hardest/heaviest"... I gotta mull on that for a bit, but since you mention "Orange Rolls, Angel's Spit": I haven't listened to Dirty in a while (not the main album, anyway; I gave the 2003 bonus disc a spin a coupla weeks ago), but when I bought in on cassette in 1992 it sounded damn harsh to me - with earbuds on, it made my eardrums hurt, even at an, um, "appropriate" volume. That's what you get when you filter Sonic Youth through "grunge", or viceversa, I guess. Or maybe Butch Vig and Andy Wallace were sick of hearing Kurt Cobain say Nevermind sounded too freakin' polished, so they went for the throat. In any case, I think some fine tunes were buried there.

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is online now   |QUOTE AND REPLY|