View Single Post
Old 04.15.2010, 10:12 PM   #2
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Incredible? Not sure if I'd agree with that, but yeah, they've got a few interesting multi-layered guitar things going on, true (I mean, every song has like 100 guitar tracks, it's definitely a cool sound!), I think everyone can recognize that. But then, CHINESE DEMOCRACY by Guns N Roses has some cool guitar noises/tones/textures, and that record is bullshit.

...But yeah, anyway, a more obvious example is Zero, the solo (and, hell, the main riff). There's some creative pinch harmonics/real harmonics stuff going on. But so what? A few cool guitar noises and tones and solos here and there -- I mean, the dude's written like 1100 songs (LITERALLY), obviously he's going to come up with some interesting stuff every now and then.

Also, I dunno if I'd call James a phenomenal guitarist -- he didn't even play on any of the records did he? I did see a show where he pointed a toy laser gun hooked to his guitar pickups to make laser noises which I thought was cool.

Anyway, I don't think most of their songs or their riffs are that creative or smart, but some of their stuff is at least listenable, and I'll agree that in the 1100 songs Corgan has written, there is an occasional interesting guitar noise or texture. I don't think that's anything groundbreaking, all the songs are just overproduced to the point where they can't breathe. I still think the best thing he ever did is the nanosecond of feedback squeal in Mayonaise.

PS: What's a mathy melody?

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|