View Single Post
Old 05.08.2016, 10:47 PM   #16
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Ugh. Predictably, you have missed the point entirely.

And Thom Yorke is not Radiohead. If anyone is Radiohead, it's Phil Selway.

Thom IS radiohead like Kurt was Nirvana. Sure the other guys totally count. But Thom brings all the driving creative energy. He brings the songs. They BUILD on what he brings, but you know damn well Thom is the heart and soul of that band. No shame in it. I been writing instrumental music for 15 years but since i can't write a lyric to save my life all my projects are incomplete. If I had a force of nature like Thom I would have finished a dozen albums by now.. Is what it is.

Quote:
Thom Yorke is a great vocalist, but he is not the best part of Radiohead.

Actually Thom is a terrible vocalist but like with Sonic Youth or Velvet Underground it is kind of the point!

Quote:
Far from it. What he hell's the matter with you? You think the band is a critical favorite and universally respected because of Thom?

Again take out Thom's voice from the songs I mentioned. Take out his voice from How To Disappear Completely what do you have?? Thom's emotive wailing and crooning IS radiohead. Simple as that. I LOVE ALL THOSE GUYS and everything they do. I LOVE that Phil is still there on drums even when they are largely an electronic band that could have ditched him. BUT I think all those guys know Thom's voice is HUGE and DEFINING feature of radiohead's music. His LYRICS are indeed why you said radiohead gets you so bummed out sometimes!!!

Quote:
He has less to do with the compositions than anyone else.
Bullshit he writes all the original guitar melodies and chord progressions. Then the band builds on it and layers it. Thom was the driving force behind their radical shift in OK Computer. I am not trying to diminish what the rest of band does, but minus Thom radiohead is simply the soundtrack to There Will Be Blood..

Quote:
What he adds is amazing, and he's FAR more involved in Radiohead than Robert Plant was in Les Zeppelin. But he is not the band. Without Radiohead, Thom is The Eraser and Tomorrow's Modern Boxes. Both fine records, but they've got nothing on Radiohead.

Wake up son.

Have you not listened to Eraser live? It IS a radiohead record simple as that. The live material from The Eraser is entirely indistinguishable from the material from IN Rainbows and King of Limbs.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|