View Single Post
Old 07.01.2006, 10:40 PM   #50
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

acousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingcoffee
I agree that people who like the album aren't really supporting it with a lot of evidence. Hell, you can like any album you want, even William Shatner's albums as long as you can back it up with some degree of intelligent observation in a conversation about it. I've seen some intelligently supported arguements for the album, but they are few and far between. The same can be said for those who are less than thrilled with Rather Ripped and for those who down right hate it (although the latter is in the minority).

There should be more well-thought out and carefully studied discussion over people's opinions on the album. Comments like "it rules....fact", and "it's better than other albums" without giving any reasonable evidence for making such statements, are kind of lame. But comebacks like "fuck you" or "you suck" are equally annoying and ridiculous. I know this board is all about having fun and sharing ideas and discussions over the band, and I hate coming across as an arrogant parent-like figure here, but all the childish crap is just so fucking stupid and aggrevating. So let's all just get along in a fairly civilized manner and discuss our different opinions in an intelligent fashion.
I think that the way it's discussed here is immature and ridiculous, and that intelligent conversation would be much better than these stupid two-word arguments.

However, I don't think there needs to be an intelligent reason to like something. It's very possible to like something for no reason at all, at least that you're aware of. I can't think of anything I feel that way about off-hand, but I'm sure I do. You just shouldn't expect anyone to care about your opinion if that's the case. If you intend to argue it, you should have a reason.

I like Rather Ripped because it's very easy to sing along to, I think it has pretty good lyrical content, and the melodies are very catchy. They give me that kind of, "Hey, I want to listen to that song now," feeling when I think of them. Ironically, none of these things have ever been my reasons for liking Sonic Youth. I like the CD because it falls nicely into my non-SY soft rock tastes. I suppose I was just lucky that they went this route instead of some other one that I may have disliked.
acousticrock87 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|