View Single Post
Old 06.20.2006, 06:13 PM   #95
Dues
little trouble girl

Dues is a name known to allDues is a name known to allDues is a name known to allDues is a name known to allDues is a name known to allDues is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamingskull
And "32 storys:the complete Optic Nerve series" is not in fact the optic nerve series but rough drawings and serieses that did not make it into the actual proper series.

I might be mistaken, but I think you're wrong. '32 STORIES: the complete OPTIC NERVE mini-comics' presents the original seven Optic Nerve comics, his early work he started drawing in high school; these were drawn before he signed the deal with Drawn & Quarterly and became known to a bigger public. They're extremely rare and are presented in this single volume. The 10 Optic Nerve comics from D&Q, that are also bundled in Sleepwalk and Summer Blonde, are successors to these 'mini-comics'.

Be it as it may, they're all worth the read. And I love how the reader's comments (be they fictional or non-fictional) in the D&Q Optic Nerves are in fact pretty similar to the stories Tomine reveals. They work beautifully together. Furthermore, I love how Tomine merely sketches out possible situations, without complete storylines, that leave a reader behind on his own with a vivid sense of emotion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i think this guy is a genius btw

I hear you. Have you seen the Art & Beauty magazines? Love them. [Faits divers: I was able to track down some of the images he drew those portraits from.] And you must see the T. Zwigoff documentary on the Crumb household if you haven't already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
I would add George Bataille's 'the story of the eye' or anything of his literary stuff...

'Le bleu du ciel' by G. Bataille is in my heart. A woman named Dirty; portrait of the Interbellum state of mind. Can it get any more real than this?

The true test, after all, is to be like everyone else. Once that happens, he no longer has to question his singularity. He is free—not only of others, but of himself.

Dues is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|