View Single Post
Old 07.29.2015, 06:57 AM   #36
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by themawt71
kris davis infrasound-save your breath

kris davis on piano with 4 bass clarinets (Ben Goldberg, Andrew Bishop, Oscar Noriega, Joachim Badenhorst) with organ (Gary Versace), guitar (Nate Radley), drums (Jim Black)

rock influenced jazz/improv. and the rock influence doesn't sound corny(!) as it tends to. good tunes and good playing.
it also has one of my favorite song titles-The Ghost of Your Previous Fuck Up

this sounds really intriguing to me. Thanks!

Quote:
speaking of the bad plus they released their interpretation of stravinsky's the rite of spring. a piano trio doing an orchestral piece.
it works. i think it was last year tho.

yeah that was last year - but certainly worth noting. One of the things I love about The Bad Plus is how they've been doing a lot of 'concept' albums in recent years to sort of challenge themselves. There was the covers album w/ vocalist (For All I Care), the Rite Of Spring, and now the album w/ Joshua Redman. I feel like these experiments then in turn have an effect on their 'proper' albums.

Anyway, the opening track on The Bad Plus Redman is one of the smoothest things I've ever heard them pull off. And I don't mean like 'smooth jazz,' I mean like you just wanna put it on repeat and zone out for hours. Just gorgeous.