View Single Post
Old 02.10.2014, 03:56 PM   #103
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by dead_battery
the problem is that someone inevitably does respond to gast and even if they dont, he will ruin every thread he shows up in by endlessly ranting and harrassing other users. your post sounds like a bit of a cop out, as if you are too afraid to offend anyone. please just delete the troll! he doesnt make it a pleasant environment for the rest of us to talk in, and his anti gay/woman/semite rhetoric is just not acceptable.

This.

I reported the original post. Part of the idea of a community is that it can define itself, make itself welcome to non-regulars. It can be self-regulating, by ignoring twats (I did this with most folk here, until I just stopped posting regularly) or not rising to the bait. Sometimes, autonomous, self-regulating communities can become soured by shouty pricks or voices getting too loud/ present. There's a lot of talk of 'manarchy' in some places I frequent at the moment. It's all well and good clinging to self-regulation to the end of self-expression but there are times - few - where something is just a waste of time. Banning an individual won't make the individual go away from life but it will make the outward appearance of the community more welcoming. By which I mean, no-one posts here any more and if there's something which is entirely, unapologetically beyond the pale in the middle of their eyeballs the forum will just wither and dry up.

Some moderator regulation is not a big deal IF the regulation involves removing elements that absolutely no-one would bother to defend. This isn't kristallnacht, it is not a crisis of ethics to remove someone who, even if the context were a solitary post, has said something so breathlessly offensive that it's indefensible by anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|