View Single Post
Old 12.09.2015, 11:33 PM   #47570
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
Wow. All this Pavement talk made me take a quick dash through Crooked which I haven't heard a note of in years and years. Oh, how the memories poured in, from the time in my life when this was growing into a favorite. Damn it's still a good record. No wonder I played it a thousand times. I even like how the second side starts to wane after "Range Life", then ends with a good epic-ish song--the very same sequence found on so many classic rock albums. And the rhyme "Shake their hand/Protein plan" is good stuff.

If they had swapped out "Hit the Plane Down" for "Grounded" and then broke up after the album's release, I'd probably be wearing a Pavement tattoo right now.

I like hit the plain down. It's very dumb of course, but that groove is an excellent Fall tribute. I used to have a major thing for "Fillmore Jive" as well, but it doesn't hit me quite like it used to.

I think "Grounded" would work on the album, for sure. But if things had gone down like that, we would have no Wowee Zowee. I know Wowee is a bit of a point of contention for Pavement fans. A sort of line in the sand that some OG's refuse to step across. But to me Wowee is a necessary album. Every great band should have at least one record that doesn't prop itself up great individual cuts, and instead only really works as an album. Kinda like Embryonic by the Lips, or even A Thousand Leaves. These albums all reveal their highlights over time, which is awesome. It forces the listener to process the album from the bottom up, instead of from the top down (so to speak).

I'm all for record like Crooked that work on a song by song basis, and get boosts from singles, but I also appreciate albums that stretch out the peaks and valleys over the course of the entire record. It makes for a more personal experience, in my opinion.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|